Applications for this year’s Production Apprentice Scheme are now open and close on 20th April.
Applications are now open
The BBC needs talented, creative people with different stories and life experiences to help us create outstanding diverse content for TV, radio and online. It's not about where you are from; it's about where you are going. If you have a passion for the media and enjoy coming up with creative ideas then this is a great opportunity for you.
To be a great BBC Production Apprentice you need to have loads of ideas, be organised, practical and helpful and work well in a team. You should want to learn, develop and create and have the ability and keenness to combine work and study. Previous media experience is not essential.
We will be looking for people who :
- Are passionate about TV, radio and online – and not just traditional broadcast channels
- Bring value and experience to the scheme and to the BBC that will help us reflect our audiences better
- Don’t already have a qualification above a Level 3 /A levels.
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Be able to live and work in London or Birmingham
- Be committed to a career in the Media – this is an entry level scheme and not a gap year activity
As well as During the scheme you will be trained by our partner college and by the BBC Academy. Key study areas include:
- Production end to end
- Discovering TV and radio
- Industry ethics
- Research skills
- Health and safety
- Social media
- Logging rushes
- Functional skills
- How to make a taster
- How to write a treatment
- Media Management
- Production paperwork
- Shoot and edit
- Converging technology
- Live programmes e.g. you could be helping set up shoots or look after guests on The One Show or Watchdog
- Arts e.g. you could be working on the Film Show, or going out on location with the Culture Show,
- Documentaries e.g. you could be working on a broad range of topics from Life on Death Row to BBC Three’s Hair
- Entertainment/Events e.g. you could be running on the next series of Strictly Come Dancing or be working on the BBC’s New Year celebrations
- History and Business e.g. you could get the chance to help Production on big stand-out series such as The Vikings
- Radio 1/1Xtra e.g. you could be coming up with ideas for Charlie Sloth’s programme or creating content for the Radio 1 website
- Drama e.g. you could be working at Elstree working on Eastenders or running on Holby City
- Comedy e.g. you could be helping create Comedy Shorts for BBC Three or generating content for the Comedy website
- Science e.g. you could be working at night on Star Gazing with Brian Cox or the latest ground-breaking Horizon series
- Radio 2/6music e.g. you could be working on Chris Evans 500 words competition or running at the latest Music Festivals
About the role The BBC Academy is working with a London college to develop best-in-class courses to give apprentices a world-class foundation in Creative and Digital Media.
This Level 3 Apprenticeship will give you an excellent practical understanding of the Television and Radio production processes.
Following an initial training period you will then work in production on three placements with training at regular intervals between placements. Those that succeed in television have a can-do positive attitude and are prepared to work unpredictable hours. You will have a placement manager who will be responsible for your learning objectives and you will be assessed on each placement.
For all the latest news about apprentices and trainee schemes, and tips and hints for your application please follow @BBCTrainees.